Windows Installation and connection
- YOU MUST HAVE AN ACTIVE INTERNET CONNECTION TO INSTALL THIS CLIENT.
- THIS CLIENT STARTS A DOWNLOAD FROM FORTINET AFTER YOU START THE INSTALL. THIS MAY PAUSE FOR EVEN 10MIN AT 0% you must be patient it will continue if you have an internet connection.
- Download the most recent windows client exe from below
- Run the install. Installation may require local admin privileges. At one point the install downloads more packages from fortinet. THIS MAY PAUSE FOR EVEN 10MIN AT 0% you must be patient it will continue if you have an internet connection.
- After running the install you should see a red shield on your desktop titled Forticlient. Run this by double clicking.
- You will get a Forticlient Console window. Click the blue "Configure VPN" link in the center of the white area (see picture below)
- Fill in the connection name
- The Remote gateway is most likely fortigate.remc1.net for you if you are a school district, vendor, or other outside party. Otherwise please email or call email@example.com / 9064877624 to ask what the endpoint address is for your entity.
- Put a check in the customize port box and enter 10443
- Optional: Click the Save Login radio button and in the Username Field type in your username. This will be your FULL USERNAME which designates what distict or entity you are employed with. eg: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com . If you are a vendor REMC1 will supply you with your username. Contact REMC1 Support if you are unsure of your full username.
- Click apply
- You should see a red shield on your desktop titled Forticlient. Run this by double clicking. Alternatively you may see a green shield in the lower right taskbar. Right click on that and select "connect to (whatever you named your profile)" See the pictures below.
- Type in your username (if you didnt set it up to autofill in the steps above). This will be your FULL USERNAME which designates what distict or entity you are employed with. eg: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com . Contact remc1 if you are unsure of your full username.
- Type in your NETWORK login password. This will be the same password used to log into your work computer and your email. Its all one login. If you are a vendor or outside entity/non REMC1 member then REMC1 will supply you with the password.
- Click Connect. If you receive a certificate warning (you shouldnt unless you used the IP address instead of fortigate.remc1.net as the remote gateway) accept it to finish the connection.
- Remember to disconnect when you are done.
- To disconnect double clock on the Forticlient shield icon on your desktop and then click Disconnect in the window that pops up OR right click on the green Forticlient shield in your taskbar and select disconnect. (see picture below)
OSX - Apple
- Download the OSX client below and double click on the download. It will mount as a drive. You must open the finder and click on it like a disk drive and run the forticlientupdate.app as shown in the screenshot below.
- A window will pop up. Click Continue, then Continue, then Agree to the license (if you are UPGRADING then you will not see that step) then click the customize button on the lower middle part of the window (see screenshot below)
- IMPORTANT NOW UNCHECK OTHER COMPONENTS or it will install a slew of annoying garbage such ass webfilter, antivirus etc. which you dont need
- Click the Install button and finally the close button.
- On the top OSX Menu Bar click the Black Shield and select Open Forticlient Console OR Go to your Finder then click Applications on the left side of that window then on the right side double click on the Forticlient icon with the Red Shield (see pictures of both methods below).
- Once open click the Remote access on the left side of the window then the gray gear icon on the right part of the window and select Add New Connection (see picture below)
- Select the SSLvpn radio button on top
- Name your connection: eg: CCISD or Hancock Schools or REMC1
- Remote Gateway: fortigate.remc1.net
- Click Customize Port and type in 10443
- Click Save Login checkbox
- Type in your username in the Username field. This will be your FULL USERNAME which designates what distict or entity you are employed with. eg: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com . Contact remc1 if you are a vendor/outside entity or are unsure of your full username.
- Click the Add button at the bottom right