Screencast-O-Matic is a free program that allows users to record video of their desktop. The initial installation doesn't install the program that runs the video recorder - see the instructions below.
- Once Screencast-O-Matic has been installed, open your Start menu and type "screen" the Screencast-O-Matic app should appear
- Click on that and it will open a small window where you can select how you want to use it
- Select Launch FREE Recorder
- This will direct you to their website where you can download the program that will run Screencast-O-Matic
- On the download page, select 'Launch Free Recorder'
- If this does not automatically open a download dialogue, you will see the option to tell the browser to run the download
- There may also be an 'Open Screencast-O-Matic' dialogue box on the browser – if you see this, cancel that and choose the download
- At this point you should close your browser, move the downloaded file to a convenient location and double-click the file to run the "WebLaunchRecorder" program
- The "WebLaunchRecorder" program is hard to notice unless you're looking for it
- While the program is open, you may wish to change the screen resolution to something other than full screen – at fullscreen you may not realize the program is running, as the frame that circumscribes the section of your desktop that is being recorded will no longer appear